Thursday, May 10

GuitarTube

I felt beat early last night, really tired, not sure why.

Called 'interact's' Waterloo, IA correspondent, Jason, but he couldn't talk very long. Had his family to tend to. (No problem, Jason :-)

So, a little vegging out. TV. But I don't watch TV, so that means YouTube. But what to watch?

There's some Chris Rock I've been meaning to watch, but Christine would come to bed soon, and he's way too profane for her.

Okay, look around on top-rated videos.

How is it that the 4th, 5th, and 6th top-rated videos of all time are some dude I've never heard of playing guitar? His top video has been viewed more than 1 millions times. A review calls this method 'fingerstyle', which I've seen before. He's obviously a monster player. (My own brilliant guitar-playing career was stunted by small hands ;-)

Some similarities, of course, with Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Zack Kim is another popular YouTube fingerstyle guitarist. He plays the Super Mario theme on two electrics here . More than 1.2 million views. Zack is the #57 Most Viewed (All Time) Musician on YouTube. His latest video, Bach's Prelude No.3 in C#major, is unbelievable.

Are you beginning to see my point? What is it that makes YouTube a home for young guitarists?

Back to Most Viewed Musicians (All Time) : You don't have to scroll down very far before you get past the popstars and to the independents and amateurs.

Erik Mongrain's Airtap! has been viewed almost 1.5 million times.

I once heard someone say that we were only just beginning to develop all the ways a guitar could be played. (Was it my college classical teacher?) Now I know what he meant.

There's the seed of at least one good Wired article in here somewhere.

But I don't have time for that now. Haven't even Googled the subject to what else is out there. But this is all you get for the time being ;-)

2 comments:

Jim said...

That guy plays good guitar, but you have to wonder about a million views. I think some of these guys found a way to multiply views. Not to say he did, but that's alot.

Sean Meade said...

you may be right Jim...