Tuesday, July 11

NPR book and music

Heard some good stuff, then found some good stuff, which elicited more hearing.

Let's do the 'heard' first. Great piece this morning called Books to call in sick for (which would be a good idea for Christine to steal for her bulletin board). Guest was Nancy Pearl who, apparently, is a celebrity librarian (!) with her own website and action figure (!) who has written Book Lust and More Book Lust. She was very articulate on the air with Steve Inskeep.

The book that interested me the most, though I feel like a tree-chaining, Earth-Firster, friend of Jane (or Dian) ('little ditty, bout Jane and Dian' ;-) admitting it, was A Primate's Memoir: A Neuroscientist's Unconventional Life Among the Baboons, especially the part about him getting accepted into the group as a transfer alpha male at 21.

She didn't actually mention it on the air, but
To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World sounds like the kind of book I would like.

When checking the NPR website, I saw their Song of the Day was Atoms for Peace from Thom (Radiohead) Yorke's new, solo album The Eraser. Now I'd seen song from this album a lot on Hype Machine and hadn't listened yet, but I thought 'what the hey'. When I saw the album described in the mini-review as 'laptop-electronica', I was more interested. I liked this song and may look/listen into the album.

No comments: