Sunday, February 18

The Potter Method

kottke had an interesting post about strengthening a foreign language by reading Harry Potter in that language.

I sent it to Christine and she liked it, but she said the original, which I hadn't clicked through to, was better.

Pretty good. I know some of you would like it...

Of course, another way to strengthen a foreign language is to read familiar parts of the Bible. There are, however, some prerequisites like interest in and familiarity with the Bible...

4 comments:

j streed said...

I had a college prof who tried, in vain, to get me to take up Latin via the Vulgate. He even tried to give me a copy and a Latin dictionary. By that time, however, my enthusiasm for a polyglot academic career had petered out. He kept the books.

Sean Meade said...

the Vulgate is sublime. most of my cursory knowledge of Latin is ecclesial from singing *lots* of choral works. with a little interest in language, a little Spanish, and a little English Bible knowledge...

Anonymous said...

I don't read blogs regularly, but Aaron sends me links to things I might be interested in. Anyway, I've got the first Harry Potter in German. I've started it twice, but can't seem to get very far. I know the English copy is in the other room, and it's too tempting to just grab it!

I've also recently ordered board books for our almost 2 year old in German (http://www.alphabet-garten.com). These are gret, because I read them out loud to Elsa, and practice pronunciations at the same time.

Sean Meade said...

good stuff, Krista. thanks! :-)