Monday, August 3

8/3 (spiritual) weight loss thoughts

(And, yes, I am on logging fire ;-)

Lectionary for yesterday really synced with my new program.

Exodus 16:2-15 (manna)

Psalm 78:23-29 (more manna)

(Ephesians 4:1-16 not as much)

John 6:24-35 (I am the Bread of Life)

Jesus says to look beyond what we need to physically survive: 'Don’t be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you.'

'Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty."'

Why do I overeat? What am I so hungry for? More on this in a future post.

For now, this is a big reminder to not focus too much on food, neither eating too much nor eating too little (losing weight).

Further, I had some pretty good experience last year with getting in touch with the fact that Jesus justifies me. I am not justified by anything I do or am. I couldn't justify myself if I tried.

Hey Sean, don't try to lose weight to justify yourself in your own eyes. You're justified in Christ. You don't want to go from a publican to a Pharisee in terms of body image ;-)

But, seriously. I am very tempted to judge myself and others based on physical appearance and fitness. And, yes, this means I've been largely living under self-condemnation for the 7 or 8 years I've been overweight as an adult and the however-many years I was slightly overweight as a child (let's say 10-13 in round numbers).

So, here's hoping having a comparatively better spiritual attitude (ie, I'm justified in Christ regardless of my weight) will help me with my 'perishable' weight loss goal.

To put it starkly, I am justified even though I'm 40 pounds overweight.

One reason I overeat is to feel good or to comfort myself. But then I become physically 'unjustified' in my eyes. Then I overeat because I might as well, since I'm unjustified anyway. And to comfort myself for being unjustified. Thus, vicious circle.

(And, just to totally freak out all of you who don't come from this same viewpoint, I sincerely look forward to my resurrection body, when none of this will be a struggle anymore :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending you encouraging thoughts.

Regarding spiritual insights on this topic, I found Gene May had some powerful ideas in Addiction and Grace.

Yeah, I think food is sometimes a filler for those areas of emptiness we have inside. Great insight.

Sean Meade said...

thanks, Bryan. Addiction and Grace is fantastic. would be great to revisit it. too bad it's in storage ;-)

Macon said...

The cycle is a vicious one. One might even say demonic, eh? One can almost hear Screwtape talking about it to Wormwood.

Keep us posted!

Peace of Christ to you, Friend.

Sean Meade said...

Macon:

indeed. will do and thanks!