Saturday, July 14

Can I post?

A few of you have noticed that I haven't been posting. Much obliged, I'm sure. It's not intentional and there is no interesting subtext. I just haven't felt like it. The biggest part of that was driving to Iowa to weekends ago, being in Iowa for 5 days (working during the day; I was not on vacation), and driving back. Nice and all, but exhausting.

So thanks for the concern. Normal posting may resume ;-)

+ The Blogger backup tool, mentioned here, worked like a charm for backing up two of my Blogger weblogs.

+ My buddy Jim has a new crusade: Universal Health Care! I'm not ready to write my Congresscrats like he urges, but he definitely has a point.

My offering: BusinessWeek's article comparing French health care quite favorably to the US.

+ Story I'm following: woman hit hard by 9/11. Starts reading. Starts visiting jihadist websites. Learns Arabic. Contributes to the arrest of several would-be terrorists.

Then, Michael Tanji, intel expert, has this interesting comment on Tom's site about not drying up a good source of intelligence. His latest post of his own.

+ Jaq would be so proud: We watched Star Wars on the 30th anniversary weekend. And last night we watched Singin' in the Rain (because the twins have shown some interest in that kind of dancing).

+ Speaking of movies, we saw Ratatouille July 2nd and loved it. No flaws detected during the first viewing. Wil even opted to get the game for his DS. It has some fun, touchscreen cooking mini-games.

+ Speaking of games, I saw some headline about the console wars this week. Baloney. The console wars are over and Nintendo killed Xbox and Playstation. They understood that people just want to have fun, on the Wii and the DS, and opened up whole new markets with innovative gaming. Nintendo saved us from the first major video game dark ages with the NES, and they've done it again. What a great company!

I think that's a good (re-)start for now.

7 comments:

Shawn said...

As a lifelong video gamer (grandparents had Pong) I've got a different take on the console wars.
They may be over but Nintendo didn't win, although Sony definitely lost. The Wii is a great console but the 360 and the Wii target different populations.

I know a bunch of gamers who have both a 360 and a Wii, and none of them thinks the Wii replaces the 360. The Wii doesn't have the goods to do the graphics and high end gameplay that gamers like me want. It certainly is fun, entertaining and advances consoles forward but not at the expense of high end systems like the 360.

Anonymous said...

Interesting roundup. Tanji sure knows his stuff. Good guy.

Sean Meade said...

S: well, yes, i simplified a little. there is a place for the high end consoles. but they're not the ones that are sweeping the market. in fact, they're losing money. maybe they'll make it back, maybe not. both Sony and MS can eat losses if they want to, but share holders tend to frown on it...

economically speaking, Nintendo won. number of units sold, Nintendo won. introduced new people to gaming, Nintendo won. niche-gamers served, you're right.

Sean Meade said...

m: thanks for the comment

Anonymous said...

Apology? Darn, too bad that projection didn't come through previously. Put you in the middle of some perceived faux paux and VIOLA! ;~)

Paul Stokes said...

Has it been 30 years since Star Wars? I can't believe it. I won't ever forget going to see that movie in Greensboro with Carol, not having much of an idea of what was in store, and then being blown out of my seat by that first chord of the Star Wars theme that commences the movie. I came away from the theater knowing that I had seen something really special. (PS: welcome back!)

Sean Meade said...

nice anecdote, Paul. thanks :-)