Saturday, July 28

Finished Deathly Hallows

I have to admit, I really liked it, maybe the most of any of the books.

As much as I have been a critic of all of the new introductions (concepts and characters) in her books, Ms Rowling did a really nice job of tying up the essential threads.

The humanization of Dumbledore was nicely done.

I assumed, with so many Horcruxes left to destroy, that the introduction of the Hallows was a bad idea. But it actually turned out ok, especially the decision of which to pursue (although, there's quite a bit of Deus ex machina with how the ten together (is that right?) get resolved).

(Upon further review, Jaq sorta says the same thing.)

All in all, very good. Now for your comments...

3 comments:

Jim said...

I finished the book today. I have been avoiding reading any posts or YouTube references to the book for fear of spoilers. This is the first HP I've read. I liked the book. I used a HP glossary (online) to get through some of the terminology. I really enjoyed it. I thought the title might have been "Harry Potter, the Luckiest Wizard Ever". I had trouble with the repeating plot of planning attacks and forgetting something obvious which got them into trouble, then rescued. Nevertheless. The end was very well done. Makes me want to go back and read some of the others.

Sean Meade said...

glad you liked it, Jim.

yes to the plot critiques (plus many more!)

i recommend starting with the early ones (but you'll do what you want ;-)

Christine said...

Jim, glad you liked it.

I've enjoyed finding people here who have read it and want to talk about it. Yesterday during Elizabeth's ballet class, I sat with 4 moms and a professional dancer as we talked through our favorite and least favorite parts. So many people here are in the "Harry Potter is evil" camp that I've had to be careful with whom I talk about it. They can't imagine what they're missing!