Thursday, June 16

Tomorrow's links today

This title worked so well before, I decided to bring it back ;-)

+ Matthew has a hilarious account of trying to entertain Internet friends (ie, not bosom buddies who knew you BC (before children)). I totally relate. At that age you try to get together with friends and you can't remember it afterwards. Matthew's crush on Mighty Girl goes forward unabated.

+ Have you seen Google Will Eat Itself?

We generate money by serving Google text advertisments on our website GWEI.org. With this money we automatically buy Google shares via our Swiss e-banking account. We buy Google via their own advertisment! Google eats itself - but in the end we will own it!

You know I love Google and will at least until the day they topple Micro$oft.

+ Interesting article in the Economist on Ashkenazai (European Diaspora) Jews: Has natural selection contributed to higher intelligence? (via kottke)

+ I really would like to have this keyboard with no labels. When I switched to Dvorak, I learned on a regular keyboard, which meant looking didn't help, and it REALLY helped my touch-typing. Someday, I plan to go back to no labels, at least, if not to Dvorak. And I'll certainly do it for my kids to teach them, when the times comes...

+ Interesting article on Google's 'war' on hierarchy. IMO, the diminishing returns on hierarchy make it a bad investment. If you can just do stuff and then find it later without filing it, or if you can quickly tag it and forget it and find it later, that's the best way to go by far.

So, how does this apply? There are three main places I store digital stuff: gmail, del.icio.us, and interact (here, in this weblog thingy). In addition, I store a few files on my computer (far fewer than I used to). I don't bookmark much anymore. What I need is one search of all of those places. Google Desktop Search is getting there with plugins. It automagically caches my surfing and gmail (including posts that I'm now sending through gmail (thought not for that reason)). There's probably a way to cobble this together now (eg, save all of my del.icio.us links and my weblog to my hard drive to GDS can catalog it), but I haven't really thought about it much, yet.

+ 'One Free Minute is a mobile sculpture designed to allow for instances of anonymous public speech. When you call the cellphone inside One Free Minute, you get connected for exactly a minute to a 200 watt amplifier and speaker. The speech produced by the speaker can be heard clearly more than 150 feet away from the sculpture.' Interesting.

No comments: