Thursday, June 30

Thursday

+via B/t thought...
Ten years of chilled innovation. Stanford Law professor Lawrence Lessig weighs in on the Grokster ruling. [He argues 'activism', which seems to be the standard criticism of all judges these days, no matter what side you're on...]
RIAA sues 784 more file swappers. Meanwhile, the recording industry wastes no time firing off another round of lawsuits.

+ My opinion, in contrast with Judge Souter's, is that the RIAA and MPAA are greedy money-grubbers and I wish I were in a position to boycott them and encourage others to do so, but I'm not willing to forego all of the movies and music they control. You could conclude that the best way to fight them would be to steal and 'share' more. I can't get conclude that. Part of me wishes I could.

+ Cringely says the Sup Ct ruling isn't that bad. He's a little more sanguine than I am about the studios coming up with a decent  digital distribution method. He also predicts that the Web 2.0 will be about APIs: 'For example, Google Maps plus accident reports for insurance companies, or Amazon plus eBay plus Froogle for purchasing departments.' Not revolutionary. Probably right.

+ Remember I said I didn't care about Steve Job's Stanford speech? I still don't  Don't care about David Foster Wallace's Kenyon College soeech, either. However, this kottke post has links to some funny graduation speeches which I do care about:

Conan O'Brien's Harvard Class Day 2000 speech
Will Ferrell's Harvard Class Day 2003 speech
Jon Stewart's William and Mary 2004 commencement address

+ On a much more serious note, also via kottke, the Iraq War Casualties Map. I assume the desired effect is horror. Well, I resist that feeling, but the map can also be used to take stock of the price these young people have paid. An Iraq civilians casualty map would also be somber.

No comments: