Thursday, February 20

Remember, gentle reader, when I posted about the planetary chalkboard? (You probably don't because you didn't follow the link. It's about location-specific posting using GPS.)

Well, I was thinking, a really cool application of this would be personal storytelling, like much of the weblog community is already about. I read John 13 and Defective Yeti for the funny stories. Heck, I even like to keep up with what's going on with Kottke's life. It's not just great links and important stuff and community, though I like those things, too.

The idea Johnson suggested that was closest to this came in the penultimate paragraph in a quote by Andrea Moed: "When you can stand where others have stood and learn how it affected them, and then share your own impressions in return, public space becomes more deeply public than it was before." But that idea didn't really grab me.

But storytelling would. If I didn't know John or Matthew, and I came across a GPS posting about one of their encounters there, I'd become a devoted fan. It's like geographically distributed Fray or Ticketstubs.

No comments: