Thursday, February 27

My best brush with fame, ever, was when I met Mister Rogers. I was 19 years old. I was working at an urban ministry in Pittsburgh. We had a connection and went over to the studios where Mister Rogers was filmed. At first we didn't think we would get to meet him. We walked through the sets, though, which was fun. I have a good picture of me in the Neighborhood of Make Believe. As we were getting ready to leave, we found out we were going to get to meet Mister Rogers. We had some children with us and he brought out Daniel Striped-Tiger and King Friday. He was doing the voices and shaking our hands with the puppets. When he came to me with King Friday I shook the king's hand and said 'Your Majesty'. He said, in his King Friday voice, 'I see you know how to greet a king.' That was extremely cool. He signed photos of himself for us. The inscription on mine read 'To Sean, with thanks for your grace-filled visit, Fred Rogers.'

Rest in peace, Mister Rogers. Well done, good and faithful servant.

No comments: