Wednesday, January 22

Kottke pointed me to the Creative Commons interview with Cory Doctorow who has just published a sci-fi novel: Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. Interestingly, he's releasing it into the public domain. I downloaded it and plan to start reading. Tor is publishing it. Though Cory admits we don't know what the business model for this kind of publishing will be yet, it seems like the right thing to me, intuitively.

The opening:

I lived long enough to see the cure for death; to see the rise of the Bitchun Society, to learn ten languages; to compose three symphonies; to realize my boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World; to see the death of the workplace and of work.

I never thought I’d live to see the day when Keep A-Movin’ Dan would decide to deadhead until the heat death of the Universe.


No comments: