Tuesday, January 21

Jaq had an incredulous comment to my post from yesterday:

Whoa. You don't believe that intelligent life exists elsewhere?

My response:

nope. i find Hugh Ross' arguments absolutely convincing:

he has 200 factors necessary for life support (and that's not even intelligent life!). thus:

Probability for occurrence of all 200 parameters: approx. 10^-237
Maximum possible number of planets in universe: approx. 10^22

Thus, less than 1 chance in 10215 (one hundred billion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion) exists that even one such planet would occur anywhere in the universe without invoking divine miracles.


It fits with my worldview that we might just be so important to God that we are the only beings like us in all of his creation.

I don't hold this view dogmatically, though. I don't find it in the Scripture. It wouldn't destroy my faith if there were other lifeforms or other intelligent life.

No comments: