Friday, July 25

Soliciting donations

Here's the deal: I react poorly to request for money for charity from people I know have more money than I do.

For example, we have all of these NFL players shilling for the United Way. What percentage of their time and money do they give?

The proximate occurrence in this case is Staples asking customers if they'd be willing to make a 2$ donation to school supplies for kids. No problem with the cause. But notice the stronger language: not 'would you like to', but 'would you be willing to'.

The two customers in front of me were asked, but I was not (probably because I was using a corporate credit card).

Situation in which I might be 'willing': give me some time to think about it and match my contribution. Then I know you're giving, too.

What do you think? Am I just being petty?

6 comments:

Jay@Soob said...

I think your take is dead on. If a million people give two dollars then Staples can put their name on a $2 million contribution to charity X without ever having to spend a single cent.

Funny, I've given the requisite dollar and filled out the requisite "Jay gave to X" paper cutout at many a gas station and never even thought to wonder if the corp. offering such charity matched it.

Hmm...

Sean Meade said...

another innocent corrupted by my thoroughgoing cynicism! ;-)

HISTORYGUY99 said...

A little gem of an observation. I too feel insulted when any person with name recogintion, IE, NFL player,actor, or singer acts as a shill to solicite donations without saying that they or the organization they rep will match the donation. Truth be known..many of those celebs..get to write off that little excercise as a tax ded related to charity..While we're on the subject of celeb's talking out their A's..remember the couple who was going to move to New Orleans to help the lesser sorts rebuild..just before they moved on to France to raise their brood stock. Or the famous actor who pretends to care about the little guy in the US, all the way from his villa in Italy.

There's my two dollar donation put to print.;)

Sean Meade said...

i see i've touched a nerve. speak! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Petty, slacker, Web Monkey. I like to apply the laws of physics when I'm being extorted. Ex. LA will be an active participant in the Susan B. Koman 3Day this Fall. I'm getting 60 miles of walking the walk for my buck. Plus LA has to "camp out" for two nights. Her "camping" to date was done mostly at the Hilton or Sheraton. heh heh heh My appreciation for the $ for miles thing was high enough to strong arm a friend to donate my money through her company - they're matchers.

Sleeping in a tent! Can't wait to dial her up about 03:00hrs the morning after she hoofs the first 20 miles. HA! ;~)

Sean Meade said...

GSR: sounds like she's committed ;-)