Sunday, July 17

Thoughts on Harry Potter

No spoilers herein.

The twins used to say 'Harry Pottern', which I really liked.

I'm interested in HP. I have to be, since Christine is absolutely obsessed (and finishing up as I type. I look forward to getting my wife back). But I don't have the patience for Ms Rowling's rambling prose or her constant introduction of new characters. 'Get on with it!' I think. Then I have this absolute aversion for hateful characters like the Dursleys and Dolores Umbridge. They haven't gotten their literary due yet, and that makes me mad (not that Ms Rowling has to dish it out).

One interesting row (to use the Britishism) I found in comment threads out there was whether or not you should speed read HP. Guess what? It's up to you. It's not fine literature. If you're like me, and principally want to know plot, then go for it. Keep on rockin in the free world. If you want to read for plot first and then 'savor' it, go for it. If you want to read more slowly, go for it. This is all self-evident, right?

Something else I came across was some of the links in Technorati where people said 'Now maybe we can get past all of this HP mania.' Their prerogative. Interesting.

I searched for spoilers yesterday morning and found them. As usual, I don't have a lot of patience for many of her plot devices. One major one, in particular, in this novel seems pretty cheap to me. As far as my take on the end of this book, I think there's every chance it's not that cut and dried. That general statement makes perfect sense, right? :-) If you want to know more, email me. And let's hold off on posting spoilers in the comments.

No comments: