Thursday, March 1

I started reading the Harry Browne article posted by John on MetaFilter, and couldn't keep track of all of the things I totally disagree with. Then I thought, wait a minute, this guy sounds familiar. Then I realized I'd posted a Harry Browne article from Mike, below. Then I had a revelation: I led John to Harry Browne (see his comment below). The horror. The horror.

Still, John wasn't necessarily saying he agrees with Harry (Do you, John?). He was asking if Bush is a communitarian. Interesting question. There's discussion you-know-where.

Maybe I'll try to list my objections. In a libertarian USAmerica:

  • Many people will be destitute in retirement because they don't have the discipline to save and they'll be on their own and it'll be too bad: they can go to hell.
  • The number of drug addicts will increase, unproductive members of society who scrape and beg to get by.
  • Your neighborhood will be much more dangerous because there will be more guns and, as a bonus, fewer police.
  • Health care will be much less accessible and much more expensive. Health will be much worse, as it was before regulation in the 60s.
  • Rich people will live in 'gated' (read 'fortress') communities with Gibson-esque (Virtual Light) security guards.

    Harry Browne is stark, raving mad.
  • No comments: