Saturday, September 12

Live Healthy: Pushup Conundrum

I am tired of doing pushups.

I've been doing 200 a week for a long time. Maybe a year. (Or at least trying to do 200 a week...)

Here's what I'm thinking about right now:

1. I could go back to the old method where I keep the rest down to less than 5 minutes. These seem better for building muscle. But, you know what? As much as I like the results, I don't really want to do 100 pushups in less than 25 minutes twice a week.

2. Or, I could go for the more spread out method, doing some pushups all the time, say sets of 20 throughout the day, every day. I'm more of a spread-stuff-out kind of guy. Here's a post about this approach to pushups called grease the groove. Since I work from home, this kind of approach would be no problem for me and would probably be good to get me up out of my chair once an hour. It would also help keep me warm this winter, right?

Do I sound desperate? ;-)

I like the sound of this plan but maybe wouldn't when it comes to doing 300 or so pushups a day. Hmm...

3. Or there are about a million other variations, but those are the two I'm weighing ;-)

Something good I did last night: got the intervals back down to 5 minutes between sets (sets include situps and squats).

I'd don't know, obviously. Something I'm kicking around, though.

Okay, I wrote all of that last night. Did 10 negative pullups today. Like Kathy's trainer says, if the muscles you worked aren't sore the next day, hit 'em again. I did my yoga today, too. Arms are feeling a little tired, so that's good. Might do one more set of pushups before I shower, just to makes sure I got the job done ;-)

3 comments:

Walter said...

Hi Sean,

Have you thought about changing it up so that you don't have a routine that you're going for? Maybe you find a program that has different exercises/routines each day and then use your 100 pushups as a bench mark each month.

Maybe get a kettlebell at Target or something and do some swings, presses, turkish getups, etc.

Also, you might consider tracking some additional variables than just wieght - like inches lost around your waist or body fat % or something.

Also, I think if you did something that jacked your heart rate up for about 10 minutes a day, you'd see some compelling results vs. moderate activity that takes a good sized time commitment.

M said...

Have you thought of getting a Swiss ball. They're pretty inexpensive, and they open up a whole range of exercises.

Sean Meade said...

thanks, guys!

Walt: great suggestions i will certainly take into account! the variety certainly sounds attractive.

also got some pushup variation suggestions from an ex-GI that i may mix in.

i did take some of those other measurements you're talking about - a pretty good sampling of them - and plan on re-testing once a month.

i'm sure you're right about the 10 minutes a day intensity idea. i'll throw it in the hopper. trying to think of what would make good candidates. i guess you would say anything that gets the heart rate up for 10 minutes. i imagine i could look at the WoDs for inspiration (though i'm sure they'd be way too hardcore).

the good thing about moderate activity with good sized time commitment is it burns calories for my weight loss, yes?

Madhu: the twins each have one for their PT, but i haven't used them at all. maybe i should...