Saturday, August 1

My new weight loss plan

Yes, I'm trying to lose weight again. But that's better than not trying anymore, right?

I've looked at a lot of different tips and tried to build a plan that is doable and concrete.

Short version: work at losing a pound a week from current weight of 209 to target weight of 170 allowing for some days off and potentially some weeks of maintenance caloric intake instead of loss.

One difference this time is writing up a semi-formal contract, sharing it with my family, and signing it. Trying to raise the accountability, since I have not been able to keep myself accountable in the past. If (God forbid) this plan doesn't work I'll have to go to one of those weight loss bets with significant money at stake.

One major component I'm not satisfied with is support. Weight Watchers has a support component (though I didn't get/use it trying the online version). Everyone says support is critical. Not sure my family is enough support. This may have to be a work in progress. Not really looking for general suggestions on the plan at this point. What I do need is any support I can get (including prayer!) and I am open to suggestions on how to maximize support.

One support possibility is having people join me. Anyone want to join me in this or a similar endeavor? I know Kathy's trying to gain weight (it would be cliche to say I hate her ;-).

I have a pretty impressive resource base if you'd like the links.

In case you're interested, most of the 'contract' is pasted below:




August weight loss plan

starting weight: 209
ultimate goal: 170
goal for this month: 204
duration: Aug 1-29 (hopefully ending with weigh-in on friday the 28th, one day early :-)

  1. wake up every day at 6, rested enough to exercise
    1. this means going to bed early enough. being in bed by 11 is probably a good target
    2. reward: don't sleep in on the weekend. instead, take a good nap!
  2. exercise 12 times per week (including mowing)
    1. walk 2 miles in 30 minutes 3x
    2. bike ca. 8 miles 3x
    3. 100 push ups, sit ups and air squats 2x (Tu pm, sat am)
    4. yoga 3x (MWF nights)
    5. mow for an hour 1x ;-)
    6. start working on 10 pull up goal (but nothing too serious)
  3. lose at least 1 pound per week
    1. target 1400-1500 calories/day, recorded on The Daily Plate
    2. weigh myself daily 1st thing and chart at The Physics Diet
    3. NO secret eating (eg ice cream from the carton, shakes when out by myself)
    4. reward: day off for every pound lost
      1. repeat 40x :-)
  4. motivation and method
    1. sign a contract with my family
    2. invest time, including reading and note-taking
      1. how do other people do it? what helps them succeed?
    3. post to weblog and Facebook
      1. yes, again, but it's better than not trying at all
      2. anyone want to join me? or what is your goal (eg, Kathy)
    4. record the psychology of failure. what makes me want to quit?
    5. slow down. taste your food!
    6. never eat to 'full', only to 'not hungry'
    7. don't be afraid of hunger. a little hunger in the right context is the feeling that accompanies weight loss.
    8. when i fall off the wagon, don't wallow. get right back on!
      1. i used to wait until the next monday to 'start fresh'. maybe...
      2. analyze: why did i fall off? beat it next time!
    9. satisfy cravings, but with one serving, not half a carton
    10. especially savor treats!
    11. 'strictness makes thing easier.' you don't have to decide.
    12. systemic moderation
    13. what are the healthy habits i am cultivating?
    14. 'We are rich in proportion to the number of things we can afford to leave alone.' - (approximately) Thoreau. this includes food!
    15. goal is to make lifestyle changes. when i get to 170, i can add some calories back in, but otherwise, everything should stay the same, right?!
    16. how can i get more support?
      1. LiveStrong dares?
    17. do i need to keep a log? weblog?
      1. couldn't hurt...
    18. why do i overeat?
      1. when hurt, depressed, sad, bored or angry
        1. what will i do instead?
  5. picture this!
    1. eventual goal: 170 pounds
    2. nice and fit (with all that exercise)
    3. feeling better about myself
    4. fitting into my clothes better
    5. getting new clothes, or getting out old ones i no longer fit into, including jeans
    6. doing my push ups and pull ups easier

I will stick to this plan for my good and the good of my family. When I depart from this plan, I will admit it and get back on plan.



[My signature and Elizabeth's and Wil's as witnesses :-)


  • consider: 4 weeks on, then a week of maintenance with one day off and then 6 days of maintenance at about 2000 calories. i think i like this better than working by calendar months.
    • re-evaluate after 4 weeks. any changes needed to plan, not least for variety? how can i spice it up. how can i persevere? that's the kicker. i don't want to have to lose this weight ever again!
    • part of re-eval: what are the best tweaks to make this a lifestyle?

3 comments:

Dan tdaxp said...

Self-efficacy is a major motivation variable. It reflects the confidence that you can, right now, conduct behaviors necessary to achieve your ends, in the context of everything else.

You can make a chart of your self-efficacy in excel, and see how it varies on a day-by-day (or hour-by-hour basis).

If you see anything behind a paywall, I can probably get it for free thru the university connection

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GPCK_enUS323US323&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=weight+loss+self-efficacy

Sean Meade said...

looks like great stuff, Dan. thanks! i will put this on my short list to research.

Alvin06 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.