Friday, March 13

Happy Botai

+ Brad lists the top 10 'Happiest States' to line in. I have never lived in any of them:

10. Arizona
09. California
08. Massachusetts
07. Washington State
06. Maryland
05. Minnesota
04. Colorado
03. Wyoming
02. Hawaii
01. Utah

Utah: score one for clean livin' ;-)

If you click through to the article, you see I have lived in one of the bottom 10: Oklahoma (although Tulsa was plenty nice).

Iowa and SC are middle 20%. NC is in the 30 to 40 range. Interesting.

+ Horses first domesticated 5,000 years ago

This article, of course, made me think that maybe the Botai are the ProtoIndoEuropeans.

6 comments:

HISTORYGUY99 said...

Hi Sean,

Great catch about the Botai and the horse. This, and the dog domestication would tend to bookend the window that Native Americans crossed over from Asia. IE, sometime after 15000 years ago and before 5000 years ago, since domestic dogs and no horses were present when Europeans showed up in North America.

Sean Meade said...

something you may not yet have learned about me: very interested in ProtoIndoEuropean/s.

good point with the Native American migration.

HISTORYGUY99 said...

I see why you had such an interest in my little journey into the past via the National Geographic geno study..

Sean Meade said...

exactly! and i'm interested in prehistory in general.

recently read and enjoyed 'Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors' recommended by Dan tdaxp

Jay@Soob said...

With the current mess in Mexico spilling over into Arizona I wonder how long they'll remain a happy state.

I will say I quite enjoyed the state when I spent some time there some years ago.

Sean Meade said...

good point, Jay, thanks for the comment