Saturday, October 2

Best Singles of all time

Let's take a break from all of this politics and so some music.

I was looking for archives of Billboard charts, but also found two lists of 100 greatest singles: All-Time 'Best Ever' Singles and The 100 Greatest Singles of the Rock and Roll Era. My thoughts, or just songs I like, beginning with the first list:

7, REM, Everybody Hurts. Love it.
9, Verve , Bitter Sweet Symphony. I really like this song and was surprised to see it ranked so highly on both lists.
10, REM, Losing My Religion. Of course.
16, Oasis , Don’t Look Back In Anger. If Oasis was this popular in Britain (3 in the top 16), they should have stayed together, at least for the money.
20, Derek And The Dominoes , Layla
22, Rolling Stones, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction. Though I've dissed the Stones before, I do like this song (and Ruby Tuesday)
27, Radiohead, Creep. Not even close to the best Radiohead song.
29, Eagles, Hotel California. Ugh. Eagles. Gross.
36, Smiths, This Charming Man. Smiths good.
37, Police, Every Breath You Take. Great.
40, Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart. What else can you say?
47, Underworld, Born Slippy. Go, Underworld.
55, LAs, There She Goes
59, New Order, Blue Monday
76, Smiths, How Soon Is Now?
94, Human League , Don’t You Want Me
100, Van Morrison, Brown Eyed Girl

runners-up from that list:
Dexy's Midnight Runners - "Come On Eileen"
Cher - "Believe". Guilty pleasure *blushes*

2nd list:
There is a Light that Never Goes Out, The Smiths
You Really Got Me, The Kinks.
Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown, The Beatles
Changes, David Bowie
It Takes Two, Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock
Kashmir, Led Zeppelin
Under Pressure, Queen and David Bowie. I've been thinking about this song a lot lately, for some reason...
Respect, Aretha Franklin
Be My Baby, The Ronettes
Hungry Like the Wolf, Duran Duran. I like them, but I'd pick something else, I think.
Been Caught Stealing, Jane's Addiction. Amazing album.
Fake Plastic Trees, Radiohead
1979, Smashing Pumpkins
Bizarre Love Triangle, New Order

No comments: