Monday, December 4

I don't care about the BCS

Lots of people, especially people who make their living in sports 'news', are up in arms about the BCS.

Not me. I don't care.

I realized last week that I don't care. I don't care if there's an 'undisputed champion' of NCAA D1 football. Lots of people do. I don't.

Furthermore, the 'undisputed champions' of things like NCAA D1 basketball and NFL football are only the 'undisputed champion' by convention. Sure, everyone agrees to the convention. Everyone also knows it's usually not the best team of that year or season that wins. It might be the best team at the end of the season, after you factor in injuries, strength of schedule, and myriad other factors. It might just be the team that got hot or lucky or __________ [fill in the blank].

Case in point: you're not going to find too many non-Steeler fans who would say the Steelers were the best team in pro football last year, even at the end of the season. There are many admirable things about the Steelers. I'm glad they won. I'm glad they got very lucky and didn't have any major injuries and didn't play like this year and didn't get distracted like this year.

You see what I'm saying? It's all a convention and we all buy into it. That's fine.

I know the outcry is for such a convention in NCAA D1 football. And I think it will eventually happen. The presidents just want to keep the BCS money and all their other excuses are baloney. Public opinion will eventually produce some kind of playoff.

But I don't care. It's college. I don't need an 'undisputed champion'. Do you?

No comments: