Friday, June 20

I rock!

What have I been up to (besides not updating 'interact')?

Playing Guitar Hero 3!

You know this if you've seen my status updates on Facebook.

So here's the deal:

We've figured for some time that we'd be getting a Wii. We love our GameCube (loved it more at first, when it wasn't 100 (computer) years old). But last summer Wil bought a DS with money he'd saved, so we weren't in a hurry to get a Wii last Xmas. We thought maybe this Xmas.

Then Wil wanted to get Lego Indiana Jones for his birthday coming up. And it's available for every platform (including DS) except GameCube. And how would it be on DS (so small)? And I've been wanting Guitar Hero. And both of those games are available for PS2 and Guitar Hero 4 (with drums, mic, etc) will be, too.

So we ran the numbers and figured we could get the PS2 stuff used for the cost of just the Wii console. And you know the problem there, right? Just one controller and just one game, opening the door to years of buying more expensive games and additional controllers at full price.

So we decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on Sunday as a fun Father's Day present for me and paving the way for Wil's birthday and probably Guitar Hero 4 this Xmas.

We got the following used: PS2 console (with protection plan), extra controller, memory card, used guitar (with protection plan), Guitar Hero 3 (I checked the playlists to see which one I wanted most), and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, all for just over $200. That's way south of the Wii console by itself.

We like games a lot. We're just not willing to pay full price for them.

So we've been having fun this week. I've completed my 3rd gig on medium, including the battle with Tom Morello and the encore.

Minor problem: with all of my computer usage and minor tendonitis up and down my arms (I don't think it is actually RSI or CTS), I can only play for an hour or so at a time.

Then again, that's probably ok ;-)

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Thought you were anti-Sony? ;) We love our PS2, I have been known to break out Star Wars Battlefront late at night and play a couple of rounds. We don't own GH yet, but I'm sure we will. Josh is getting a PSP for his birthday. My mom is helping with the cost of that. Hope your wrist doesn't become permantly injured.

Dan tdaxp said...

We got the following used: PS2 console (with protection plan), extra controller, memory card, used guitar (with protection plan), Guitar Hero 3 (I checked the playlists to see which one I wanted most), and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, all for just over $200. That's way south of the Wii console by itself.

Excellent choice!

The PS2 is an all-around great console, a tremendous number of games, rhythm games play as well on it as anything else, and an amazing back catalog.

Great show!

therealkimaliczi said...

Everytime I read your blog I learn something new - seriously! We're in the same Wii boat you were...still considering one. We love our Gamecube, but same thing...they don't make Lego Indiana Jones for it, and that's what the kids wanted. But instead of Guitar Hero...we want Dance Dance Revolution (Ha! *blush*). The rest of my siblings own Wiis (wii's? what is the plural of wii, anyway?). I digress. The thought of waiting in line on a Sunday hoping to score a Wii at Best Buy seems idiotic. Perhaps we'll seriously consider an Xbox or playstation. Thanks for blogging about this topic.

j streed said...

You know, don't you, that the Wii plays Gamecube discs? But you have to buy an extra memory card for that.

I think it's also compatible with the DS, though I haven't looked into that.

BTW, we have a Wii and got GHIII yesterday. Candy pulled the guitar out of my hands last night just as I was about to play "Welcome to the Jungle" in an "easy" gig. Haven't tried "medium" yet--working my way methodically up the ladder.

Yeah, great setlist--tons of fun songs in there. Clay's favorite? "Mississippi Queen"! Off the top of my head, first-day faves include:
Ruby
She Bangs the Drums
Paint it, Black
La Grange
Bulls on Parade

What a great game. Totally addictive.

Sean Meade said...

Kim: glad to be of service! please don't hesitate to write me if you think there's something i can help you with before i post on it ;-)

no blushing: we have DDR: Mario Mix and really like it.

i certainly recommend a PS2 and DDR, etc. good value!

Jason: yep, knew that, but thanks.

how crazy that we have gotten GH3 at the same time!

crazy the Clay likes Mississippi Queen! (i mean, it's fine, but...) i wonder if he'll like Pride and Joy, too...

i think of you every time i play Paint it Black, since you like the Stones more than me :-)

my favs:
Sunshine of Your Love
Bulls on Parade
Kool Thing
Even Flow
Rock You Like a Hurricane
Welcome to the Jungle
Cherub Rock
The Metal
The Devil Went Down to Georgia

Sean Meade said...

Kathy: do you always have to bring up my pronouncement from the past ;-)

thanks: i'm taking it easy on the wrists and they seem to be ok.

Dan: you can claim a lot of credit, since i first played it at your house!

Kathy said...

Is that not my job? Have I misunderstood my role in your life? ;)