Tuesday, October 24

Geography forward

Maybe you just have to be in the right mood. I got interested in some geography that came to me this morning. Launched me to Wikipedia. First the assertion, then my comment:

Damascus, Syria, was flourishing a couple of thousand years before Rome was founded in 753 BC, making it the oldest continuously inhabited city in existence.

I wonder about Damascus: Jericho has been inhabited for millenia, but maybe not continuously...

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one-mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

Everything I've read about that Eisenhower interstate air strip assertion has said that it's a myth.

Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits.'

More on the etymology of Spain.

Enjoy it, baby! ;-)

No comments: