Friday, March 10

My web 2.0 (again)

+ Guide that (probably) nobody who reads this weblog cares about except me: Low-tech filter for reading subscriptions:
  1. Lifehacker
  2. kottke
  3. THEN, read del.icio.us/popular
Otherwise, you're just duplicating your reading from secondary sources because so many of the posts/links from the first 2 end up on #3. Besides, the Lifehacker feed has summaries (unlike del.icio.us/popular). I used to want actual Lifehacker and kottke filters for del.icio.us/popular, but the low-tech approach works just as well...

One small problem: del.icio.us/popular links are starting to appear back in Lifehacker. But it's a small problem. If I catch it, I save the one in Lifehacker (like I said, it has summaries), and unselect the ones in del.icio.us/popular.

Then periodically I just copy the posts I have saved in Bloglines, email them to myself in Gmail, and unselect them. Then they're searchable in Gmail anywhere I am.

Aren't you glad to know how I'm navigating the 2.0 web? ;-)

+ Did you see that Google bought Writely (continuing to put the fear into Micro$oft)? Plus, that's another application that's totally web-native that you can access from anywhere. With Gmail, and Google Desktop searchable across computers, and Writely the trend is certainly toward the GDrive that we're hearing rumors about. I've said it before, I'll say it again: I welcome our Google overlords. If you don't want them to have access to that much of your data, don't give it to them. I want GDrive. Mostly, I want to be able to upload simple sound files with permalinks that use up part of my Gmail memory. Is that so much to ask? ;-)

By the way, there's a wait list for Writely right now. 'Believe me when I say to you' (a little Sting quote there) I signed up right away...

No comments: