Sunday, June 6

Reagan redux

A big thanks to Paul for coming up with the requested post. My comments:

To give credit where credit may be due, I know many people think Reagan bankrupted the USSR. The fall of the USSR was certainly a good thing. I only wish we'd been able to step in with more stabilization, like Tony Zinni suggested in his book.

Additionally, tax cuts such as these may stimulate the economy so that deficit spending now produces an economy later that can wipe out the deficit. That's one interpretation of the Reagan policies resulting in the Clinton largesse. There's some evidence of recovery as a result of the current President Bush's cuts.

Additionally, your assessment of George HW Bush is fascinating. Of course the 'voodoo economics' turn-around must be chalked up to politics (whether one finds that acceptable or not. It's the way things work, like with Dean ravaging Kerry and then getting behind him).

I agree with your criticisms of GHWB. It certainly does my nonpartisan(?) heart good to see your criticism of big spending Republicans and your fair assessment of Clinton's economic policy (some conservatives can't bring themselves to say anything good about him).

Once again, thanks, Paul. Though I'm sure we don't agree on everything, I'm glad to know more about Reagan from a more conservative perspective.

No comments: