Monday, January 15

Here's another well-written post from Higgy:

SEEKING EQUAL TIME: In the New York Times magazine, science writer Natalie Angier goes on at length (intelligent, passionate, occasionally witty length, though) to discuss how hard it is to be an atheist in America. She does raise several points believers and non-believers can agree on: 1. the famous high level of belief in God among Americans is pretty shallow. 2. people don't like having other people's brand of religion shoved down their throat.

I'm happy to grant those critiques and I'll never transgress them again (I rarely do anyway). But, on the reciprocal side, I'm tired of intelligent atheists insisting that religious faith, and particularly Christianity in my case, is intellectually untenable.

And while we're at it, why don't we throw in the assumed untouchable dogma of thoroughgoing, materialistic, atheistic Darwinian evolution (it wouldn't be enreasonable to call it 'evolutionism').

No comments: