Thursday, April 5

Tax time, videos, Dixar, and Hawkeyes

+ I was familiar with the Flat Tax, but the FairTax is a new one on me:

The FairTax Plan is a nonpartisan national grassroots campaign to replace the federal income tax system with a progressive national retail sales tax. It provides a "prebate" to ensure no American pays federal taxes on spending up to the poverty level, dollar-for-dollar federal revenue replacement and, through companion legislation, repeal of the 16th Amendment.

They claim bipartisan support. I didn't see endorsements on their site. I'd be interested to see some...

What do you think?

+ Jaq links two dancing videos, Singin' in the Rain and The Time Warp. I wonder what other good, classic dance videos are on YouTube. You know, like Dirty Dancing ;-)

But seriously, I think I'll show Singin' in the Rain to Bethy. And maybe look up Torvill and Dean . We'll pass on Rocky Horror for now ;-)

+ Dan links a video mashup of freedom speeches. King, Reagan, Kennedy, Kennedy, Malcolm X (Goldwater?). Check it out.

+ Month-old NYT article on Lasseter's reign at Disney. (via kottke)

+ I'm optimistic about the new Iowa coach, Todd Lickliter . Looks like they went after Bruce Pearl first.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The original Sponsors of the FairTax bill were actually John Linder a Republican from Georgia and Collin Peterson who is the Chairman of the Agricultural committee. While most of the co-sponsors are Republican this is truly a plan that can unite the country. Check it out at www.FairTax.org.

Dan tdaxp said...

Hmm.. now, on what blog have I heard of the fairtax before? :-p

(Thanks for the link, btw! )

Sean Meade said...

dang! can't i have *one link* to myself?! ;-)

Sean Meade said...

Jim like the FairTax, too.

ok, that's enough smart people for me. let's do it! ;-)

Jim said...

The Fair Tax is a National Sales Tax. I like it. Some argue it is regressive. That makes no sense. If someone makes $50m a year they will not consume as much as someone making $150m a year, with rare exception. I understand this whole thing could get done with a penny or less per dollar, but I haven't seen the math.

Kathy said...

Torvill and Dean? Love them! They performed a great skate to Simon and Garfunkel's "Cecilia". Of course, you'll probably be looking up "Bolero" or as I like to call it, "Sounds of the Humpback".

Sean Meade said...

what is with you band people? Jaq hates 'Bolero' too ;-)

yep, Bolero at the 84 Winter Olympics in Sarajevo - that's the one i linked up there. so sue me! ;-)