Sunday, April 29

General failure

In case you missed it, Army Lt Col Paul Yingling's indictment of America's generals is swarming the internet, showing up not just in military circles, but also in del.icio.us and Digg (maybe the younger service personnel have just infiltrated those networks that deeply).

I basically agree with Yingling. If I have any criticism, it's that he's a little too hard on the generals. It's pretty hard to stand against all of the inertia that ill-prepared us to fight this Long War. Industry, Congress, and the military's own history are enough in themselves to make it nearly impossible to change before failure.

Yingling alludes to what is needed to fight the Long War, nearly prescribing a draft and radical changes in procurement. I hate to be a cynic, but I don't think that's going to happen. I think you'll see the US pull back before those changes happen.

This is probably what the services need to hear from one of their own. I certainly hope it does some good.

It'll be interesting to see where Yingling goes from here, professionally. Politically, I'd say he's got Congressional testimony in his future...

ps: Tom's quoted Yingling before.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice for a post. The paralyzing effect of a murderous, dictatorship and a society infiltrated by its internal security force gave me pause when considering how successful we might be. Millions of people succumbing to the institutionalized man syndrome. I'll refrain from stating the obvious other than, even with the expectation it was rather stunning. We gambled on the benefit of doubt, lost. Certainly does not mean we should give up though. Make the corrections, move forward. Reality leaves no other choice.

I saw a pic of a message board inside a CP. Could have been at Pat Dollard's Web Log or a friend of mine sent it to me via e-mail. It said:

America is not at war
The USMC is at war
America is at the mall

Been tracking this carefully in my area. Yesterday, less than a dozen war protesters. Two counter protesters. One impeach POTUS at the Post Office. No parking spaces at the mall. Why do I keep thinking: No GOD, no religion, no hope, no future, what war? :~\

Sean Meade said...

war v. mall. a chilling indictment, GLASR. some hope for this country, lots for God (by definition)