Saturday, April 21

Could I vote for Rudy?

Tom's becoming a Giuliani fan. Hasn't endorsed him yet, but he likes him. Briefed his staff, who then requested Tom brief Giuliani in person, which he did. Tom's column tomorrow is about that.

Rudy on the issues

Rudy's top two priorities are:

1. fiscal discipline - cutting spending and taxes
2. national security - stay on offense and keep terrorists on defense

I'll buy those.

Other plusses:

+ He talks about responsibility and the leader being responsible.
+ He's optimistic about the US and the world and our future. Optimism is important.
+ He's an outsider to Washington with big government leadership experience (basically equivalent to a former governor), including working with a Democratic city council.

You might want to check out some of the video on his website, like his welcome message or Rudy on his record .

Downsides:

+ I am concerned about Rudy's personal life, his two previous marriages, and especially his estrangement from his son.
+ Is Chris Rock right? That Giuliani's like a pit bull: good in a crisis, but otherwise he might eat your kids? ;-)

We'll see.

What do you think?

14 comments:

Dan tdaxp said...

Giuliani's personal life doesn't bother me that much (I think Romney is the only non-divorced serious GOP hopeful), and his pre-9/11 majorship of New York was effective and helpful (cleaning up crime, feel-good populist critiques of leftists, etc).

The big question is judges. We have four solid justices and one pretty good one. We need that to continue.

Anonymous said...

The "p'ull" analogy assumes that after the next Presidential election cycle the world will somehow be dramatically different. Certain tough decisions will magically disappear, not have to be made. Mr. Mayor seems to understand our circumstance, what it means to be an American and our obligations to the world. I'd cast for him in a NY minute. ;~)

Believe he's stated, SCOTUS gets constructionist nominees if and when it's his turn to nominate.

Paul Stokes said...

He's an easy choice against any of the Dems. Many of my pro-life friends are ready to support him, despite his position on that issue. But that worries me. Is he an easy choice against McCain? Maybe not as easy as one might first suspect. They have to be a match in terms of courage, but on the management side, of course Guliani wins. What about Fred Thompson and Guiliani? Now we're getting close.

Sean Meade said...

hooray! comments! thanks, guys.

i'm open to Romney. may have to research him next...

Dan: good point about judges. i often forget that part. shows i'm an amateur ;-)

GLASR: i agree with your assessment. not ready to declare for him, yet...

Paul: i haven't looked closely at Clinton or Obama, yet, then compared 'em all. of course, such an exercise is academic since the primaries will winnow 'em down.

can't see me supporting Thompson or McCain...

Anonymous said...

Then I'll support Guiliani, Sean!

Dan tdaxp said...

Why no Thompson (I'm curious, as I know very little about him).

Sean Meade said...

P: thanks! maybe i should run! ;-)

D: no good reason. i'll reconsider if he runs! ;-)

Jay@Soob said...

My first impression of Thompson is straight forward no BS and reminiscent of Reagan (remember when republicans were conservatives?) So far so good.

Giuliani's "Broken Windows" initiatives in NYC were brilliant but his 2nd Amendment record makes me nervous. And I laughed like hell when I read that Chris Rock line.

I was big on McCain in 2000 and barring Thompson he's probably my next choice though I have some reservations specifically regarding his "anti-torture" (yet pro-war?) stance.

Sean Meade said...

s: Thompson could be good. what do i know? don't know if i could stand another Reagan, though ;-)

maybe you'll also like Rock on McCain: 'is it just me, or was he too old 8 years ago?' ;-)

Jay@Soob said...

LOL. Yeah, I'd forgot the issue of age.

Jim said...

He is simply not electable (for the presidency). Too much baggage.

Key appointment perhaps? Either party?

Sean Meade said...

Jim: you could be right (though i'd put Hillary in a similar baggage category...)

key appointment makes sense...

Sean Meade said...

s: glad to amuse you. we must have the same sense of humor ;-)

Jay@Soob said...

sean, I think we do. As far as comedians go you should do a search for Brian Regan at youtube.