Friday, January 11

New leaf

Madhu demands an 'interact' update, and who am I to ignore my adoring public ;-)

Actually, I sort of semi-intentionally didn't update this week on account of trying to begin a few new habits.

First of all, I let myself get back up to an unacceptable weight (206.5 at the top) and started counting calories again this week. All of the usual stuff, especially feeling hungry a fair bit of the time. I have been averaging just under 1500 calories per day. Still want to get down to 170 and then decide with Christine where to go from there.

Of course, I have tried this many times before. What's worse: failing repeatedly or quitting to try?

I'll tell you this much: I have concluded the only way I'm going to lose weight and keep it off is to weigh myself every day and count calories everyday, even when I make it to my target weight. I just can't be trusted to figure it out for myself.

I keep hoping vaguely that I won't gain weight. Then when I start to, I give up, eat what sounds good, live in denial, the whole shmear. Ugh.

I estimate that, in the last 5 years, I have lost and regained at least 60 pounds (3 20-pound increments). Double Ugh. These are the times you wish you'd gotten to your target weight and stayed there.

For inspiration, I read through The Hacker's Diet. Lots to recommend there. But it basically comes down to what I just wrote above: you have to count (or plan) your calories and you have to weigh yourself every day.

He's also got a 15 minutes per day exercise program that I'm sure is not up to Mark's standards, or Shane's, or ... . But, it seems doable from the start. It can be done inside. It doesn't require special equipment or a gym membership. There's really no reason not to do it. So I've started that and have 5 big days under my belt.

Christine and I walked 4 days this week, too, for a half hour.

Finally, (I'm really not trying to overdo it here) I've been concerned that I am not being intentional enough about the most important things in my life. As a springboard, I've been looking at AA's Big Book, especially the 12 Steps, from the perspective of a garden variety sinner.

How's that for an update, Madhu? ;-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forget the numbers. Eat when you're hungry. Increase fluids about 200%, doesn't matter what. Walking is good, but at your age you should be moving at under 15 minute miles, four or five every day. If that's a tad faster than walking, so be it. Nice walking with the wife unit BUT wanna make it work for you? It's alone my Brother, like the Postman. Weight resistance cross train. Get your own equipment, have it staring at you, calling you names every day, P inC names. AA? No way, you want to become obsessed, addicted, can't live without it. Hang a heavy bag - do I need to explain? 170 is a little light. You can be 190+, look the same, muscle weighs in lighter than ................. Keep moving, I'm pullin' for ya! ;~)

Sean Meade said...

G: thanks for the comment and advice. i drink a lot of water already, so 200% might wash me out! i hear ya' on the muscle thing and got my dumbbell out, but haven't used it yet. maybe i'll do that next.

best part: you're pullin' for me :-)

Benet said...

Sean: I feel your pain. I'm on my 3rd week of Weight Watchers (I got the MH discount!) and I just joined my local YMCA for the exercise part. I'll be rooting for you!

Brad B. said...

sean: I've been wondering what happened to your blogging! We've been checking - but no updates! Best of luck to you. I'm still having good luck with my "Red Wings Workout" where I work out during each Red Wing game. I just work out slowly during the first two periods and then relax and enjoy the third! I had planned to blog more during Wings games, but, like you, I went another path and blogging has suffered a bit.

If counting the calories is getting to be a bit of a pain due to hunger, I really recommend the Shangri-La Diet I wrote about. Check out my graph to see who well it's really working for me. You could combine it with the calorie counting too. All it does is cut appetite. Email me if you want more details than I gave. ;)

benet: My wife, sister, brother-in-law and wife's cousin have all had HUGE success with Weight Watchers. Basically, they teach you healthy habits or help us learn how some stuff we thought weren't bad for us (protein bars for example)actually are! I don't have the discipline to do it, but I fully support the program. It's more "education" than dieting.

Sean Meade said...

thanks, Benet! i'm rooting for you, too!

BB: yeah, i thought about looking into the Shangri La, like you mentioned. hmm...