Friday, July 27

Reading Harry Potter(n)

+ I'm enjoying Deathly Hallows, you know, within reason. When I do read it, I read very fast, maybe 75 pages an hour. Mostly dialogue.

+ I am a total sucker/hopeless romantic re: the Harry-Ginny relationship. Not sure I knew her name was Ginerva (you know, because I skip a lot ;-)

+ Apparently Jo was on the Today show yesterday and gave some more epilogue-type material (via). Sounds like she's going to write an encyclopedia next.

That would actually be perfect for her since she obviously takes such delight in making up stuff and little details. Too bad she probably won't ever turn some other people loose in the Harry Potter universe, like George Lucas has done with Star Wars.

Because I bet there are a lot of chihuahuas out there with some pretty good ideas ;-)

(Pretty impressed with myself that I spelled 'chihuahua's right on the first try ;-)

+ If I ever write any Potter fan fiction, it'll be the just death of Dolores Umbridge. How I hate her! In some ways, her banal evil is worse than Voldemort.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't thought of that, but you've got a point. She's a hypocritical, liar, (and can I say bitch?). Not lovable at all!

Sean Meade said...

J: you can't know the half of it until you've suffered through all her chapters in Order of the Phoenix :-(

Anonymous said...

Well, as you know, I'm reading them in reverse order... :-)

Kathy said...

There is some really well written fan fics out there, but one disclaimer...PAY ATTENTION TO ALL SUMMARIES AND RATINGS THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!!!! and I'm going to look like a moron here, but I thought "slash" meant graphic violence. IT DOESN'T!!!! DON'T READ IT!!!!! But, Rowling has mentioned in interviews that she has read some of the fics and likes them. I have yet to read one that kills off Umbridge though. I haven't made plans to read any since DH, I may later, but I may not. I just really loved this book and I'm not sure I want my afterglow to go out yet. ;)

I'm so glad you stepped ever so slightly on the bandwagon and enjoyed this last one with us!

Sean Meade said...

oh, Kathy. lol. some of us know what slash fiction is. you're almost as sheltered as Christine! :-)

tell you what: if you recommend something, i'll try it.

fun to be on the bandwagon :-)

sameasthem said...

Sean, OK, I didn't read Order of the Phoenix, but we saw the movie. And yes now I understand your Umbridge comment much better.

Sean Meade said...

the absolute worst way to have to be exposed to Umbridge is Christine's tapes. long, drawn out, no way to skip. i stay out of the kitchen when she's listening to those parts.

i really hate Umbridge. and after her, the Dursleys.

reading is best, i just skim.

Kathy said...

I think it's so great that you are emotionally involved here. Shows you just the kind of writer JKR is. Shawn did not get it when I was crying at the end of DH. And it was out of sadness as well as joy. I could barely speak when I told him the Fred died and I was just overwhelmed when Harry was going so valiantly to his "death". Yes, Umbridge is a cow and you at least are not a robot... or an android.

Sean Meade said...

does that make Shawn a robot or android? ;-)

i, myself, with my spastic emotions, have never been confused with one before...

Kathy said...

I think, perhaps, he falls into the cyborg category. He has been known to shed a tear or 20 when our kids were born, but emotion for emotion's sake....not bloody likely!