Wednesday, March 30

More smorgasbord

+ Inventive spam. This one looks like a misdrirected insider-tip. Bio-Warm is a legitimate business. Wonder how this tactic dovetails therewith...
Hey David,

I spoke to John yesterday and he confirmed that the stock I told you about over the weekend Bio-Warm (BOWC.OB) does indeed
have a military contract in the works. John doesn't know the exact number, but he said it was somewhere in the
75 to 100 million dollar range. When this hits the market, the stock won't be 15 cents anymore, it will soar over $7.00 just
like the Sirius Satelite ru -up he gave us last year. Give me a call tonight, and say hi to Linda for me.

Take Care,

William
+ Update. Then I got this additional message:
Hey David,

I spoke to John yesterday and he confirmed that the stock I told you about over the weekend Bio-Warm (BOWC.OB) does indeed
have a military contract in the works. John doesn't know the exact number, but he said it was somewhere in the
75 to 100 million dollar range. When this hits the market, the stock won't be 15 cents anymore, it will soar over $7.00 just
like the Sirius Satelite ru -up he gave us last year. Give me a call tonight, and say hi to Linda for me.

Take Care,

William
Even more insidious...

+ I work a stone's throw from West Columbia, SC, where some Panthers are alleged to have gotten banned steroids.

+ Entertainment lawyer sounds sorry that they can't go into homes and pull software off of computers. Duh and double duh. Matt's del.icio.us tag for this would be: a--hat/s . At least the Justices seem to be keeping the downside in mind:
In a lively hourlong debate, the court openly worried that new lawsuits could stunt the next iPod. Justices also wondered aloud whether lawsuits against manufacturers might have discouraged past inventions like copying machines, videocassette recorders and MP3 music players - which consumers can use to make illegal copies of documents, movies and songs.

Justice Antonin Scalia said a ruling for entertainment companies could mean that if "I'm a new inventor, I'm going to get sued right away."
Souter says if people can get music for free, they won't pay. iTunes has given the lie to that.

+ Speaking of Matt, he notes that del.icio.us is getting funding and Josh will be able to do it full time. That's cool. It's such a great service, not least for being a simple, elegant tool.

+ Keeping with the Matt obsession (and clearing out my Bloglines for him), notes from one of his talks at SXSW. My thoughts:

MetaFilter is not about high tech. It's fairly low tech. But it's a great interface, the best for these kinds of discussions, even better than conventional weblogs. Again, it's simple and elegant. The community was exactly what I was looking for for awhile, but then I migrated off of the Mother Ship and kept connections with people you see in my BlogRoll.

digg.com looks like a cool concept. I'd like to see it with regular news and not just tech news. It's kind of like user-moderated Google News.

+ Ranking my BlogRoll by number of Bloglines subscribers:

4631 - kottke (all hail)
1054 - del.icio.us/popular
378 - defective yeti
279 - Matt's a.whole
50 - Tom Barnett
21 - Laputan Logic
5 - (the erstwhile) Archipelapogo
4 - Byzantium's Shores
3 - blog.boydston.us
3 - Finches' Wings
2 - A Blog of His Own (me and Jaq?)
2 - Streams of Consciousness (me and Jaq?)
1 - Stokes Kith and Kin
1 - View from the bench

And, incidentally, I've got 3 subscribers (Jaq, Scott, and Eric?), for whatever that's worth.

+ Iraqi resistance begins to crack after elections. Amen. May it indeed be so. (via Stokes)

+ Brad Bird interview
Send your stuff to your heroes, befriend someone who gets your work, and beware of middle managers.
+ Moneyball for the NBA. And, apparently, the Mavs are dipping in (see end of article). (via kottke)

+ Riding the world's fastest maglev in China (via, you know, kottke)

No comments: