Wednesday, September 8

Was 1984 the best year ever?

Jason links the Sports Guy article on why it was. It convinced Jason.

I don't disagree. But how much of this is because that was such a formative time for us - twelve, finishing sixth grade and starting seventh.

My thoughts:
  • The picture of Larry Bird out in front of David Stern(?) makes him look even bigger.
  • I watched pro football, but didn't watch the rest enough to be as enamored.
  • However, we watched the Olympics big time! I was sick some that summer (unusual), so laid on the couch under a blanket and watched the Olympics. I mostly remember Gymnastics, Track, and Diving. What I remember most from Sarajevo is *blush* the commercials: IBM typewriters and Beatrice, especially.
  • I don't precisely remember the Macintosh coming out, or the commercial during the Super Bowl, but I do remember Macs from that era.
  • We watched 'The A-Team' a lot: (IIRC) 'A crack military commando unit was sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit. They promptly escaped from a maximun security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. If you need help, and you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A-Team.'
  • We were Love Boat/Fantasy Island/Three's Company watchers, so it was the ending of an era.
  • Men's Sychronized Swimming is one of the all-time best Saturday Night Live sketches (though I saw it later).
  • 'Thriller' still possessed us: the album, the videos, the Moonwalk, the glove.
  • It was a great year for MTV, which we watched at my gramma's house. Faves: Dancing in the Dark (I though Courteney was very cute), Jump, The Reflex, and Magic.
  • I didn't get into alternative until 89 (Jason helped me out there).
  • I loved Duran Duran and liked The Thompson Twins and Howard Jones.
  • 'Purple Rain' was huge that fall.
  • Movies I liked: "Romancing the Stone;" "Indiana Jones 2;" "Ghostbusters;" "Footloose;" "Karate Kid" (including 'Cruel Summer')
  • Ahhhh. Intellivision.

No comments: