Wednesday, February 11

Super Bowl Blow-up

I've been thinking about this for awhile. A lot of people think the uproar over the appearance of one breast at the Super Bowl is really overblown.

But to me, the issue is our over-sexed culture. As someone noted somewhere (sorry I don't remember or have the link) sex is used to sell everything that was pitched during the Super Bowl commercials. True. And there's the whole cheerleader issue.

That doesn't diminish the fact that the Halftime Show was sex-driven and the exposure of JJ's breast was the final straw.

Yes, Viacom might have gotten by with it had JJ's breast not appeared. But it did appear and now there are some questions being asked. I doubt they'll result in anything major, but at least they're being asked, if only for the sake of us fly-over people.

I don't disagree that the appearance of a breast shouldn't be a big deal, given the right context. But an over-sexed context is not the right one.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not being prudish here. I like to see a breast as much as the next guy (and more than some). The sexification of USAmerican/global culture is very disturbing. The objectification of women in this way is a really bad thing, even if many women are willing participants.

I'm going to have to get TiVo before my son can watch football with me. Heck, I might should get it for myself.

I know this is kind of rambling, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

No comments: