Wednesday, May 21

Distant Early Reverie

'Distant Early Warning' was my introduction to Rush, as far as I remember.

(Sorry, can't embed the video, but you can watch it on YouTube's site.)

The 80s-ness of this video is amazing. 2/3 mullets, obsession with the danger of the Cold War (with good reason!) a la Strangelove, funky-shaped bass and drums, skinny tie (Alex), coat sleeves pushed up (Geddy), knees-together dance (a favorite style of mine ;-).

Nevertheless, I think the song holds up really well.

My friend Aaron Retish was the only Rush fan I knew.

(Google says Aaron now teaches Russian/Soviet studies (goes nicely with this video!) at Wayne State University. And he looks about the same!)

I still don't own a Rush album, but the singles I own (via Amazon mp3s) are: Tom Sawyer, Limelight and Distant Early Warning.

My friend, Kurt, hates Geddy Lee's voice, but I think this is unreasonable ;-)

5 comments:

deichmans said...

WTF!?!? No "New World Man"? No "Red Barchetta" (my personal fave on the iPod Shuffle for starting my hill runs)? No "Fly By Night" or "Closer to the Heart" or "Subdivisions"?

Methinks Sean needs to expand his repertoire of RUSH. And I suggest starting with their most poignant album of all: HEMISPHERES (2112, the fan fave, is my 4th pick: behind "A Farewell to Kings" and "Moving Pictures").

Anonymous said...

Not sure I'd know a Rush tune if I heard one. Will test the youtube thing, see. What popped when I read this post - Canadians? Eh. ;~)

Sean Meade said...

Shane: whoa, you took that pretty seriously. now i have a playlist to look into. i've heard "Fly By Night", "Closer to the Heart" and "Subdivisions", or course; just haven't sold out to them, yet.

Anon/GSR: i knew what the DEW Line was, notionally, but didn't know where it was specifically until you prompted me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEW_Line

Kathy said...

I think it's a little unreasonable, but while he's not the greatest vocalist ever, he's also not the most attractive one either. But, since he totally rocks out on the bass, I'll can let a lot of it slide. Besides, Tom Sawyer and Limelight (the opening song of the concert), The Spirit of Radio is also great. Alex Lifeson's guitar work is amazing. Then there's YYZ, in a class all it's own. My favorite album is "Exit Stage Left", Rush is one of the few groups who sound just as good (or better) live than they do in studio.

It's been a fun thread, thanks man.

Sean Meade said...

thanks for the comment, Kathy :-)