Wednesday, April 2

A little bit more on Watchmen

Synopsis, with spoilers

I'm much less taken with Alan Moore at this time of my life than I was as a teenager. V for Vendetta seemed so awesome then. Parts of it still are. But Moore's anti-fascist-anarchism crusade leaves me cold at 36. Do we really have to be that vigilant about authoritarianism? Were Reagan/Thatcher really that close to it? Made to choose, I'd rather be mainstream than Moore.

I mean, in case you were wondering, this guy is on the extreme fringe (just scan the Wikipedia link above if you don't believe me).

All that to say, I'm excited about the movie and Zack Snyder's work, but it's not the comic movie event of the decade for me. Right now, I'm more excited about Iron Man.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lineup starting with Downey! Caught a trailer on FX - looks like a winner. What's the hold up I wonder? It's straight to DVD, no? On my add to queue when available at Netflix. Which begs this question, was The Invincible Iron Man animation?

Catch The Brave One? Still sorting out the message, if any. Acting and chemistry between the principles was excellent. ;~)

Jim said...

Yeah. Iron Man. You have been anxiously awaiting that one...I don't remember why. Is it the director? story line? actors/actresses? all of the above?

Sean Meade said...

GSR: yeah, mostly Downey. no, not straight to DVD. due out on the big screen soon. probably not available on DVD for awhile. and, yes, TIIM was animation.

no, haven't seen the Brave One (but clear on why you would ;-)

Jim: amazing trailer, including Downey Jr as the perfect Tony Stark.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.