Saturday, August 21

Winning team sports is not rocket science

We watched 'Miracle' yesterday for the first time. Then I read in SI today about De LaSalle High School with their 151 games winning streak (it's not what you think, rather very humble, low budget, no recruiting, mostly average kids.

I conclude the keys to winning team sports are:

1. Playing as a team. Doing what's best for the team. Refusing to let the team down.
2. Working harder than your opponents, especially in conditioning.
3. Focus, dedication, commitment.
4. Strong coaches who lead.

And it helps if, like De LaSalle and unlike the 1980 USA Hockey Team, winning isn't the most important thing.

Furthermore, I imagine this approach is more rewarding.

The USA Olympic Basketball (Team) is playing right now, and I'm not watching it.

I don't guess we're ever going to learn...

I put my strategy for a winning NFL team back on the table: Conform to the guidelines above. Be willing to take less salary for the sake of winning championships. Build a cohesive unit on both sides of the ball. Simple, right? I don't think the Patriots are actually too far away from this.

(Ironically, Tom Brady's uncle is the prinicpal of De LaSalle, and not a football fan.)

(And, no, I'm not referring to the Pats to tweak you, Jaq. It's just a nice fringe benefit :-)

No comments: