Tuesday, March 25

Second apology: for those of you who tried to get into the Tulsa Invitational, there were a lot of problems. Only five of us got in. So sorry if that was frustrating, too.

That said, I'm kicking butt. I'm leading and I'm really happy with my picks. I picked fewer upsets this year.

By my count, there have been 12 upsets, 6 of which I picked right (including Mich St over Fl, which I love). I sure wish now that I'd picked Maryland. That one I should have seen coming.

I picked 8 upsets so far and 6 of them were right. Should've put some money down, aye?

I picked the first round of the West and Midwest brackets totally right!

So what was my strategy? I was more conservative this year, in general. A lot of my picking is who I want to win. I picked all 4 9 seeds and 3 of them won (and NCS almost did). It just so happened that I liked all of the 9 seeds better than the 8 seeds they were playing. I looked for places to pick up upsets - overrated teams like Creighton and Memphis (and I generally pick against John Calipari). I once preferred the Big Ten and ACC, but that has mostly evaporated. I picked against Billy Donovan as soon as I could.

That's pretty much it. Now you, too, can pick just like me.

But really, I can't take much credit. As you see, it's pretty unscientific. It's not even based on intuition.

No comments: