Tuesday, January 2

I posted the notes to my sermon from sunday.

Christine and I are rereading 'The Hobbit'. It's been a long time.

First of all, it amazes me how much faster it moves. They're already over the Misty Mountains, which takes a long time in 'The Fellowship...', almost the whole book.

Secondly, the tone is so very different. For one thing, the evil is less malicious in 'The Hobbit', more bumbling (eg, the trolls and goblins). It's much more appropriate for children. Gandalf doesn't have that same invincible feel in 'The Hobbit'.

Remember when I was talking about Tolkien's art? I forgot that the One Ring has almost everything that's ever been done publically. Go to this page and search for Tolkien as the author. You'll get 107 results, many of which are Tolkien's art that can be enlarged. Beautiful!

No comments: