Heard Seether 'Careless Whisper' cover for the first time. Absolutely horrible! [http://htxt.it/d6C2]Then Lisa asked me if I like the Ataris' 'Boys of Summer'. I replied:
i hate it, but probably because of my issues:So, here's my attempt to at least say what I DO like :-)
1. i hate Don Henley. not sure why. LOVE the Mojo Nixon song 'Don Henley must die!'
2. i find this young, 'edgy' bands kinetically covering adult contemporary easy listening songs totally distasteful.
ok. i'm a total spaz, i admit. i will post today about what i regard as good cover songs.
Let's start here: THEY'VE GOT IT COVERED: THE 100 BEST COVER SONGS OF ALL TIME. Ones I like (I'm disregarding their rankings):
24. "All Along the Watchtower," Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
26. "Louie Louie," the Kingsmen (Richard Berry)
30. "Walk This Way," Run DMC (Aerosmith)
38. "You're No Good," Linda Ronstadt (Betty Everett)
52. "Respect," Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding)
73. "Venus," Bananarama (Shocking Blue)
81. "Twist and Shout," The Beatles
Honestly, I think most of my preference in these cases is which one I heard first. In some cases I've never heard the original. So some of this is just covers I like.
Another grist list: They did it their way (again, disregarding the rankings)
27 Summertime Blues - The Who, 1968
23 Caravan of Love - Housemartins, 1986
6 Tainted Love - Soft Cell, 1981
Same as above.
A few I thought of that aren't on these lists:
Please Please Please - The Dream Academy
You Really Got Me - Van Halen
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos
Can't help falling in love - Lickin' the Tins
Baby one more time - Fountains of Wayne
And a couple many people would name, but, while the cover's ok, I prefer the original:
Such Great Heights - Iron & Wine
There She Goes - Sixpence None the Richer
Relatedly, there are a lot of mashups I love, too!
What about you? What are your favorite covers? What would you add? Did I get any wrong?