Sunday, December 7

Siobhan, Paul, Jaq, Mal (and IC)

+ Should we have named Elizabeth 'Siobhan'?

(Irish feminine of 'Sean'. Jean:Jeanne::Sean::Siobhan. Pronounced 'shi-VAWN' (approximately)).

Answer: almost certainly not. Not only would she always have to spell it, no one would ever be able to pronounce it. And it's probably a little too Sean-centered.

Three informative links: 1 2 3

But, extremely cool name.

Don't worry. If we had, Wil wouldn't be Sean William ;-)

+ I find out from Paul that the gender analyzer thinks there's a 75% chance that this weblog is written by a man.

+ Jaq has a long post about enjoying Firefly/Serenity, which we sure enjoyed, too.

+ But something I've been thinking about recently: I'm just not willing to take on the commitment of a tv show and all of its episodes. We watched the first season of Battlestar Galactica together and I watched the fourth and then we were done. Firefly's shortened run was just about right for us. I wonder if I would have kept watching it if they had kept it going...

+ Iowa City is one of only three cities in the world that is a City of Literature according to UNESCO (along with Melbourne and Edinburgh). Cool (but didn't bother to research the specs).

5 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Maybe it's that Buffalo has a large-ish Irish population, but there are lots of Siobhan's up here, and everybody knows how it's pronounced. So you just live in the wrong place.

On TV shows: I wonder if American TV needs to go the route of Japanese anime, where shows are made to tell a single story and then they end. There's none of this "Show X got renewed for its tenth season" stuff. Some American shows lean in this direction (BSG is one notable example), but even those still seem to be compromises: "Sure, we'll let you tell your story and then go away, but you gotta take at least five years to do it."

And thanks for the link! I'm not getting near enough links, for all the arse-kicking content I'm producing! (I'm rejecting humility this month, as you may notice. :)

deichmans said...

interact may be 75% man, and my own Oz 74%, but have you checked out the GenderAnalyzer's assessment of Zenpundit? :-D

Sean Meade said...

Jaq: i don't dispute that i live in the wrong place ;-)

good idea on American tv

Shane: hilarious!

Anonymous said...

TV's for women. I've told this before, long time ago BUT not in another life. heh ;~) GLASR

democratic core said...

I once had a secretary named Siobhan. Someone once misread her name and called her "Slob-Ham". Wonderful name, but difficult for non-Celts.