Saturday, March 7

What's your favorite Looney Tunes episode?

I was a little concerned that the twins weren't getting this classic input. So we got the 1st set of 4 DVDs from Netflix, Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 1. They liked them pretty well, especially Wil.

Unfortunately, you can't just get the best ever; they mix them up with some that are less classic (so they can also sell Vol. 2, Vol. 3, etc).

Some episodes are on YouTube, though I guess they get taken down pretty fast.

One of my favorites from Vol. 1 is Bully for Bugs, where Bugs' wrong turn at Albuquerque leaves him fighting a bull.

Another classic is 'Rabbit Seasoning', where Daffy's trying to get Elmer to hunt Bugs.


Of course, one of the classics is 'What's Opera, Doc?', the adaptation of Wagner, probably best known for Elmer's line: 'Kill the wabbit!'

It's hard to decide which Pepe Le Pew episode to include. The one on Vol. 1 is For Scent-imental Reasons.
In the same way, it's hard to pick one Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner episode. They're all funny and essentially the same.

Other classics:

"Robin Hood Daffy"

'One froggy evening'

Ok, I'm running out of steam here. With a lot of these characters it's hard to pick one. They're funny characters, but what stands out? Yosemite Sam, Speedy Gonzalez, Sylvester and Tweety, etc.

One Sylvester cartoon I've always liked is 'A Mouse Divided': 'I've become the father of a breakfast.'

I also like the ones where he gets beat up by the Baby Kangaroo (Giant Mouse) and Sylvester Jr is ashamed. 'Who's Kitten Who?' would be a good example, but I can't find the video.

Not sure there are any I really like with Porky Pig.

No mention of Looney Tunes would be complete without the incomparable Mel Blanc. Here's an appearance he did on David Letterman many years ago:

If you need some more lists, check these out:

+ Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 2
+ Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 3
+ Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 4
+ Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 5
+ Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 5

5 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Did you watch the incredibly strange one that has Porky Pig venturing into Africa in search of "the last Dodo"? I really want to know what Chuck Jones and company were smoking when they made THAT one.

Sean Meade said...

yep. Wil quotes it quite often. crazy

sameasthem said...

I wonder if HULU would have any...no?

Paul Stokes said...

My favorite is the one with the singing frog, "Hello, My Honey, Hello, My Baby, Hello, My Ragtime Gal!"

Sean Meade said...

yep, that's the one above, Paul: One Froggy Evening :-)