Friday, May 21

The 50 most important events in 50 years of pop

I forget where I saw this list (kottke?) Wherever it was, they said it was Brit heavy, and that's true. But there are still some great mentions here. A few of my thoughts:

+ Chuck Berry's 'Maybellene'
+ Ronettes' 'Be My Baby' (under Phil Spector invents the Wall of Sound)
+ The Beatles take America
+ Bob Dylan releases 'Like a Rolling Stone'. Decided to pull it up on WinAmp.
+ The Who: 'My Generation'
- The Rolling Stones stink
+ the Kinks' 'You Really Got Me' (under Black Sabbath release their first album)
+ Saturday Night Fever goes on general release. I like songs on this album despite myself. Who doesn't?
+/- The launch of MTV
+ Michael Jackson: Thriller released. What I said about SNF.
+ The Smiths: 'This Charming Man'. My favorite moment in this list so far. Love The Smiths.
+ New Order: 'Blue Monday'
+ Madonnna's 'Material Girl' is released. Madonna is a guilty pleasure for me.
+ Nirvana: 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. I like the song fine, but what it spawned (eg, Pearl Jam's 'Ten') more.
+ The birth of Napster

How about you? What are you favorite moments herein? What events would you nominate? Which would you excise?

No comments: